Before You Apply
Find out if a beagle or basset is the right dog for you. Get started by learning more about basset and beagles Animal Planet Bread Selector: Beagles or Animal Planet Basset Hounds Dog-101 are a good place to start.
Read Our Adoption Requirements In order to be able to adopt with us, you must meet the following basic requirements:
- You must be at least 19 years of age.
- You cannot have been convicted of any animal abuse laws.
- The basset or beagle must not be a gift or “surprise” for another person.
- All cats and dogs over 6 months in the home must be altered unless a medical reason is provided to us by a veterinarian.
- All pets in the home must be up to date on vaccinations per minimum vaccination policy.
- You cannot have an invisible fence (learn why).
- If you have a dog door, it must only be used under supervision.
- If you live in a rental property, you must provide a signed letter of approval from your landlord or other documentation stating you are allowed to have a beagle or basset and it must specify it is OK for a puppy, if your application is for a puppy.
- You must agree to pay the adoption donation plus tax per Nebraska law
Check out our Hounds available for adoption. We also have long-term foster dogs who are also looking for forever homes, but who need extra care and love. (Do we want to list our seniors differently?)
Come to one of our events (RICHARD – link)
Complete the Application
Along with the application, you will need to provide the following:
- Contact information for your current veterinarian (if you have one).
- 3 personal references
- A copy of your lease if you rent your home/apartment.
If you have questions regarding the application, please email us at BBRH@bassetandbeagle.org.
Once you have submitted your completed application, a volunteer will contact you within 10-15 days. Please be patient! We are staffed entirely by volunteers and we receive many applications every week. Our dogs and puppies are not placed on a “first come, first served” basis. We work hard to ensure each hound is placed in a home that fits their needs and the desires of the adopting family.
Ask your personal references to reply promptly to help expedite the process. Waiting on references to reply to our calls and emails can significantly slow down the adoption process.
After You Apply
Meet the hound If you haven’t already had the chance to do so, we’ll find an opportunity for you and any family members to meet the hound.
Sign the Adoption Agreement
Pay the Adoption Donation We accept payment via PayPal, money orders, cashier’s checks, or cash. Personal checks will only be accepted with prior approval. (ANGIE- what do you think of this?) We spend more on medical bills and care for our dogs than we recover in adoption fees. For this reason, the adoption payment is not negotiable. The adoption donation is non-refundable after 7 days.
Pick up your new best friend! A volunteer will set up a time and location to transfer the dogs to you. You will receive the dogs medical records and other documentation, at this time, as well.
Got all that? Still think one of our pups is the right fit for your family? If so, then click the link below to fill out our Adoption Application!
Wet noses, sloppy kisses, and wots o’ wuv await thee!